Sunday, February 3, 2013

Game Writing

As a young kid in the 90's there was only really one thing I cared about, games, games, games. I cared about what little stories that were there, I read through every detail that was in the little booklets (I miss those game companies btw) that came with the game and the soaked it all up. From the very first game I plugged into my N64 (Star Fox 64) I knew that I wanted to work in the game industry (the desire to become a writer came much later) and I dedicated all my education in that pursuit. Now that games have more developed story lines, larger casts and extensive plots featuring player input, writers are more important than ever. Too often, the writing portion of the game is left aside or not given the importance it deserved. It's getting constantly better and better, and I want to participate in getting the medium the respect it deserves as an art form, to captivate players and entertain them through what possibly may be sixty hours of their valuable time.  This blog will be my experiences with writing for games and my experiences with writing found today in games, what is and isn't there. (To clear up things, writing involves everything from the universe the game resides in to the actual story, although on big games this is usually spilt up between multiple writers). Hopefully some day, my name will be among the greats of the video game writers and hopefully these people will get more and more recognition by the other writers in the other mediums.

Here are some of the greats today

No comments:

Post a Comment